Based on the comments on the task (and personally looking at the associated
data), this is not a one click fix, and will require community involvement.

My current assumption is that the reason a lot of pages are not getting
indexed is that we do not have enough wikilinks between articles across
Wikisource (leading to orphans and walled gardens). Even those that have
wikilinks are often from linked list-style articles (contents pages,
categories and such) which are not being traversed by Google (I assume due
to some internal criteria that maps the quality of a page based on the
content).

One potential way to mitigate this (which I suggested in the task) would be
to implement a mechanism similar to navboxes/See also sections on Wikipedia?

Another potential way that we could go about this could be to make Author:
pages less list-like, having some kind of summary of each work being linked
(this is based on looking at the content on en and bn wikisource) ?

Regards,
Sohom Datta
---
Open-source contributor @Wikimedia