On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Aryeh Gregor
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Daniel Kinzler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> A mediawiki upload should be specific and provide
>> more functionality besides picking multiple files and uploading them. Most
>> importantly, it has to provide a way to provide the basic information about
>> license, source and authorship. Programs for this exist, I was just thinking
>> that a firefox ad-on would be simpler to deploy and maintain that a
>> standalone
>> program, and people would be more likely to iunstall and use it.
>
> If a MediaWiki-specific workaround would exist, it would presumably be
> a Java applet that wouldn't require separate installation.  You're
> right that such an applet could be written to do way more than just
> show upload progress.  On the other hand, I'm wary about having to
> maintain multiple sets of functionality for clients with different
> capabilities.  It would be best to keep as many features as possible
> in universally-accessible HTML-based upload pages, and only use Java
> or JavaScript where something is not possible in HTML (like selection
> of multiple files at once for upload, or progress indicators).

For my CommonsHelper [1] and flickr2commons [2] tools I have
implemented a universal Commons user verification for the toolserver
called TUSC [3] some time ago. All tools can use this to verify that
someone using a tool does have a Commons (or any wikipedia) user
login, and that account isn't blocked.  We could offer mass-uploads
via toolserver that way.

Advantages:
* Seperate from MediaWiki code
* Quickly adaptable
* Potentially many ways to upload (Perl, Java, ...)

Drawbacks:
* Additional one-time TUSC signup required (quick but potentially  annoying)
* Files would be uploaded under a bot name

Or, we could enable my option in MediaWiki to "upload" by giving a
URL; me could support multiple URLs that way. That would require
people to upload their files on some public FTP or HTTP server, and
then transfer them to Commons.

My 2 pence,
Magnus

[1] http://toolserver.org/~magnus/commonshelper.php