Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> This does
> client side transcoding, but as far as the user can tell it's all done
> by the server.... except no long transmission time for his 14gbyte DV
> movie. (although, perhaps a long transcoding time. :) )

At some talks here a FOMS (foundations of open source media) meeting we
discussed adding support for uploading _while_ transcoding to firefogg.
Also we will talked about supporting splitting the encoded file every
meg or so and re-assembling them on the server.  This way if your
browser http POST connection gets reset halfway though your upload it
will just resume on the next chunk instead of starting from scratch.
(eventually we could support the
http://code.google.com/p/gears/wiki/ResumableHttpRequestsProposal )

We also discussed adding dirac support to firefogg... Other related
stuff was discussed...I will try and do a full wikimedia related report
back from FOMS shortly.

To further respond to Mike.lifeguard inquiry:

If people can operate an FTP and have the massive bandwidth necessary to
upload source material I highly recommend they upload to archive.org. We
will be supporting archive.org as a remote repository so it will be easy
to embed any ogg piece from there into a wikipedia article see:
http://metavid.org/blog/2008/12/08/archiveorg-ogg-support/

I don't think wikimedia is targeting (in the immediate future) the
multi-petabyte storage and multi-thousand cpu system necessary to store
and transcode original DV and MPEG2 streams of everything.  I think it
makes sense to partner with like minded organizations for this purpose.

peace,
--michael