>> On 1/4/09 6:20 AM, yegg at alum.mit.edu wrote:
>> The current enwiki database dump
>> (http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiki/20081008/
>> ) has been crawling along since 10/15/2008.
> The current dump system is not sustainable on very large wikis and
> is being replaced. You'll hear about it when we have the new one in
> place. :)
> -- brion

Following up on this thread:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2009-January/040841.html

Brion,

Can you offer any general timeline estimates (weeks, months, 1/2
year)?  Are there any alternatives to retrieving the article data
beyond directly crawling
the site?  I know this is verboten but we are in dire need of
retrieving this data and don't know of any alternatives.  The current
estimate of end of year is
too long for us to wait.  Unfortunately, wikipedia is a favored source
for students to plagiarize from which makes out of date content a real
issue.

Is there any way to help this process along?  We can donate disk
drives, developer time, ...?  There is another possibility
that we could offer but I would need to talk with someone at the
wikimedia foundation offline.  Is there anyone I could
contact?

Thanks for any information and/or direction you can give.

Christian