I've been trying to do some work mining the full en dump with revision
history and was involved in getting together the Syracuse grant
proposal. To give you an idea, for me personally, the incentive for a
new resource is a need for a server (perhaps a cluster) to support
full-text queries at a reasonable speed. People at various research
institutions duplicate this effort over and over.

Andrea