--- On Sun, 8/23/09, Aryeh Gregor <simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If they can run commands on the command line, then they can
> use
> environment variables.  If they can't, then your
> suggestion doesn't
> help.
>
> > If there are administrators who can execute command
> lines, but cannot set environmental variables (e.g., they
> are confined to use a special shell)
>
> There aren't.  That would make no sense.

Thanks for clarifying the situation. Given this information I suggest changing
all code in command line utilities of the form:

$IP = getenv( 'MW_INSTALL_PATH' );
if ( $IP === false ) {
        $IP = dirname(__FILE__).'/../..';
}

to:

$IP = getenv( 'MW_INSTALL_PATH' );
if ( $IP === false ) {
echo "Error. The environmental variable MW_INSTALL_PATH must be set to the root
of the MW distribution. Exiting.\n";
die();
}

This would eliminate file position dependent code from the command line
utilities, making them easier to maintain (i.e., they can be moved in the
distribution without breaking them).

Dan