On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Domas Mituzas <midom.li...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Presumably some percentage of that 20-50% will come back as the
> > spammers realize they have to supply the string.  Presumably we
> > then start playing whack-a-mole.
>
> Yes, we will ban all IPs participating in this.

Guess it's just a matter of time until *reading* Wikipedia is unavailable to
large portions of the world.

> Presumably there's a plan for what to do when the spammers begin
> > supplying a new, random string every time.
>
> Random strings are easy to identify, fixed strings are easy to verify.

And "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT
<http://whatsmyuseragent.com/CommonUserAgents.asp#>5.1)", is pretty much
useless, unless you've already identified the spammer through some other
process.

> (I do worry about where this is going, though.)
>
> Going where it always goes, proper operations of the website. Been there,
> done that.

Do any of the other major websites completely block traffic when they see
blank user agents?