On 3 September 2010 00:51, Danese Cooper <dcoo...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 1. Eliminate single points of failure / bottlenecks
> 2. Reconfigure into teams designed to encourage faster (shorter
> duration) and more accurate projects / deployments
> 3. Develop programs to encourage / grow volunteers into paid
> staff...recognizing that as a non-profit WMF needs to plan for more
> frequent turnover in the Tech department to ensure that we can grow
> expertise across the dev community rather than concentrating it in a few
> core people.
> 4. Restore the balance between community-led and foundation-led efforts
> so WMF feels again like a partnership rather than concentric circles of
> permission / blame

I really like item 2. When I was working on MediaWiki related stuff,
the main problem I had was working out who to talk to. The answer, if
you ask, seems always to be "Tim" — which is not very scalable
(brilliant though Tim is). I'd hope that along with an organisation
into more formal teams would come a structure where individuals are
responsible (either permanently, or on rotation like the chromium) for
subsets of MediaWiki/Wikimedia.

This would imply that the structure used by the Usability Initiative
is something we want to emulate — a few tight-knit teams that can
focus on specific concerns, containing people with the power to say
"yes" or "no" to particular features/ideas. Having a person
responsible for saying "no" is essential; as Danese says, you can't
accept every random patch or idea that gets thrown your way, and
leaving things languishing forever is less kind than just saying no
(ideally with a reason). Hiding behind team decisions is impersonal to
the point of rudeness — if I'm committing into your area of interest,
I am part of your team.

The other advantage of having teams is that it makes it more explicit
which areas of development are being focussed on, and by whom.
Wikimedia obviously concentrates a reasonable amount on fundraising,
which is essential as a means, but it doesn't achieve anything
directly. I'd hope that having some kind of explicit structure would
expose any less obvious blind-spots — my personal gripe is that no
time gets spent on Wiktionary (cf. bug 20246).

Clearly there are downsides, cliques are likely to form. I'd certainly
regard it as a failure of the system if it stopped someone from doing
something merely because they were currently on the wrong "team" —
there's not much point in keeping lists of team members, perhaps all
that is needed is a team leader (responsible for accepting or refusing
changes/ideas), and the team is simple those who are talking to him.
In case it's not obvious, I would not make team leaders exclusively
employees, but use the meritocracy previously described that would
only make it likely that most of them would be.

The other sentiment I very much agree with is that more communication
should be public — for the simple reason that if I don't know what
you're doing, I can't help. Keeping track (however loosely) of what's
being worked on is much more efficient than trying to second guess. If
the channels we have are too noisy, it's easy to split them by topic.
I like the idea of making #mediawiki the support channel, and having
#mediawiki-dev for development — this is a model used by lots of
projects on freenode. We could even have #mediawiki-offtopic too, if
people want to do a lot of misc chatting. Being able to talk to other
developers is very useful for getting things done, whereas having some
developers who can't be contacted at all by others is very troublesome
indeed. I had assumed that it was a requirement for a wikimedia staff
member to be somewhere public on freenode — clearly I was mistaken.

I hope that items 1, 3 and 4 will become much easier if we solve 2
correctly, and communications will always be improvable. Good luck
with your plans, and please keep us updated — I'd much rather have to
add you to my spam filter than to not know what's happening.

Conrad