Well, this is probably my last post on this subject for now.  I think
I've made my points.  Those who don't get them yet probably will
continue not to get them, and those who get them but disagree probably
will continue to disagree.  It looks like nothing big is going to
change right now, but I hope that when Danese gets up to this, we'll
see real improvements and not just attempts to paper over the problem
without properly understanding it.

I'll just make a few further brief points to reiterate some things I
said that seem to still be misunderstood:

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I don't think you really know that. It's hard to see how much work
> goes on behind closed doors when you only have a cursory involvement
> with the project.

It's pretty easy to figure out that there aren't daily (or weekly or
monthly) face-to-face meetings among developers who live scattered
across the world.

> None of the open source projects I've been involved with fit the model
> you describe. For instance, Squid makes heavy use of face-to-face
> meetings, despite their geographically distributed development team.

Just to be clear: face-to-face meetings are great, in moderation.  I'm
totally in favor of them.  But having lots of conferences is not the
same as working in an office together.

> I think that's a false dichotomy.

It is.  There's a spectrum of middle ground in between, but the
endpoints are perfectly tenable as well.  I think that, given
Wikimedia's mission as well as practical concerns, moving MediaWiki
development significantly further toward openness would be a good
thing.

>> I can say that despite being a nobody at Mozilla and having gotten
>> only one (rather trivial) patch accepted, I feel like I'm taken more
>> seriously by most of their paid developers than by most of ours.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that, and I'd like to know (off list) which paid
> developers are making you feel that way.

It would be unfair to name anyone, in public or in private.  If I've
had negative experiences with some paid developers, that should really
count in their favor, because it means I have had *some* experience
interacting with them, period.  If we exclude paid developers who were
preexisting community members:

* I can think of two who I see with any regularity in #mediawiki.
* I can think of maybe three who I've had more than one conversation
with on IRC ever.
* I don't think I've ever seen a wikitech-l post from the majority of them.

I can't think why most of them should even know who I am, except now
maybe some disgruntled volunteer who's making trouble for them.  Why
would I *expect* them to respect me?

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Ryan Kaldari <rkald...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> First of all, all this talk of secret listservs and IRC channels is
> malarkey. Yes, there are private listservs and IRC channels. All of them
> are private for very specific and well-established reasons. Most of them
> are only used in very specific circumstances (for example if there was a
> security breach that needed to be discussed privately) and tend to be
> very low traffic. They are not the places where important decisions are
> made.

1) Either paid developers are coordinating someplace where volunteers
don't see it, or they're not coordinating at all.  The latter is
implausible, so it's the former.  It makes no difference if it's
face-to-face meetings, teleconferences, IRC, or mailing lists, or even
a technically public place that volunteers don't know about -- it's
hidden.

2) The secret IRC channel is not low-traffic.  The 1000th line before
now in #wikimedia-tech (excluding parts/joins/etc., also excluding /me
for simplicity) was about five days ago:

$ grep -v '[^ ]* [^ ]* \*' FreeNode-#wikimedia-tech.log | tail -n 1000
| head -n 1
100903 16:08:55 <jps> and if you are only doing those in groups of 10,
you need to multiply by at least 3

Doing the same on my log of the secret channel gives 100903 00:03:40,
meaning it has roughly the same traffic level as #wikimedia-tech over
that period.  Anyone who hangs out there can tell you that almost
nothing there is secret.  I can't speak for private-l, because I'm not
on it.

> Secondly, the idea that developers here in the office don't interact
> with the community is absurd. The developers here interact with the
> community constantly.

If the goal is to attract volunteers and make them feel part of the
community, it doesn't matter whether the paid people think they're
doing a good enough job.  It matters whether the volunteers think it.
I'm pretty sure it's clear by now that practically none of us do.  As
I said, anyone interested in fixing the problem would do well to start
by surveying volunteers rather than looking at the issue from their
own perspective, and Danese told me she does plan to do that -- so
I'll wait.