Aryeh Gregor writes:

> To clarify, the subject needs to 1) be reasonably doable in a short
> timeframe, 2) not build on top of something that's already too
> optimized....

Integrating a subset of RTMP (e.g. the
http://code.google.com/p/rtmplite subset) into the chunk-based file
upload API -- http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Upload#Chunked_upload
-- would be an example of parallel I/O that we really need if we ever
hope to have reasonable microphone uploads for Wiktionary
pronunciation collection.  I know Flash sucks, but it sucks way less
for microphone upload than currently nonexistent HTML5 audio upload
support, client side Java, or any other alternative, and probably will
suck way less than any of those alternatives for years.  Soon GNU
Gnash should have microphone Speex upload on all three major
platforms, assuming the Gnash programming team doesn't starve to death
first.