On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Aryeh Gregor
<simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM, George Herbert
> <george.herb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> (suppressing grumbles about diff engine for edit conflicts, probably
>> an algorithm rather than speed issue)
>
> Diffs are fast enough if you use wikidiff2, no?

Yeah; what I really want is a diff algorithm that properly deconflicts
more current edit conflict problems.  It's not speed, it's smarts in
the algorithm.

>> I suspect that the MySQL engine is the one place where parallelism is
>> most applicable, but I am not a MySQL internals guru.  However, there
>> is one associated with the project, and I believe on the list.  Domas?
>
> Yes, parallelism is very applicable to databases, which is why they've
> already had tons of effort invested by people who know a lot more
> about the topic than me, so I probably can't do much there.
>
> To clarify, the subject needs to 1) be reasonably doable in a short
> timeframe, 2) not build on top of something that's already too
> optimized.  It should probably either be a new project; or an effort
> to parallelize something that already exists, isn't parallel yet, and
> isn't too complicated.  So far I have the password-cracking thing,
> maybe dbzip2, and maybe some unspecified thing involving dumps.

I understand the context of the class and scope.  I just couldn't
think of a MW related topic other than that that would seem to need
serious parallelism work.

Good luck.

--
-george william herbert