> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:46:24 -0800
> From: Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org>
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Commons ZIP file upload for admins
> To: Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
>
> [Kicking this thread back to life, full-quoting below only for quick
> reference.]
>
> I've collected some additional notes on this here:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Restricted_uploads
>
> Would appreciate feedback & will circulate further in the Commons community.
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

Personally I think it would be nicer if you could associate source
files with the final files.
Something like:
*User uploads jpeg of 3D image (or whatever)
*on the image description page for the jpg, there is an upload
"source" file link
*Users (who have appropriate permissions) can upload the associated
source files with this link.
*These source files might appear as a subpage of the primary
image/document/media, or they might just appear in list form at the
bottom of the image description page of the main image/media. Either
way, the source files would be associated with a single "main" file.

Doing it this way would limit the feature to source files of actually
uploaded files (so less random cruft lying around, no orphaned source
files, less chance of people abusing the feature to get around file
type restrictions). I also personally don't like the idea of uploading
archives. Instead I think it would be better just to upload all the
source files needed. (although that might fall apart if you're
uploading source files for something very complex which has many
source files in a specific directory structure). There could also be a
download all option where all the source files get tar'ed together on
the server side for an easy download.

-bawolff