Erik Moeller wrote:
> The experience that Sage describes in bug 24471 of not being
> consistently logged in arguably shouldn't occur in the first place per
> 1). Can we log the user into _all_ public Wikimedia wikis without
> incurring an unacceptable performance penalty? If so, how?

We can do it if not caring about security. Which is unacceptable.
So basically, I don't think we can make a magic login-everywhere,
without a perfomance penalty to the servers and/or user.

> The issue with regard to privacy disclosures through account creation
> logs is one that we should try to fix for the user per 2) and 3)
> without the user needing to worry about it. All the same links should
> be there, you shouldn't have to confirm anything when you edit a page,
> etc. And you certainly shouldn't have to explicitly create an account
> with an additional one-click operation.

Not just create an account, also logging in on eg. wikibooks when you
were previously just logged into wikipedias.

> It may require, per one of Brion's suggestions, to have some kind of
> shadow account system in the backend that's used until/unless a fully
> created user account is required, or to flag the account in a certain way.

CentralAuth already reserves the username, such magic adding global
usernames should be possible (eg. to block a user which hasn't attached
a local account yet).

> Finally, I completely concur with Brion that the additional "Log in
> globally" checkbox should be removed, and a better solution be sought,
> per 1). It's not something that users should need to think about.

I'm happy with removing it *after* we get the better solution.