On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Right. And just to weigh in quickly on the resources issue -- the
> review/deploy/release train is clearly not moving at the pace we want.
> This does affect WMF staffers and contractors as well, but we know
> that it's especially frustrating for volunteers and third party
> committers. We kicked around the idea of a "20% rule" for all funded
> engineers (IMO not just senior staff) in Berlin and in the office
> yesterday, and I think Roan mentioned it earlier in this thread: i.e.
> ensuring that every WMF-funded engineer spends one day a week on
> "service" work (code review, design/UX review, deployment, shell bugs,
> software bugs, bug triaging, etc.).

Expect to hear more from the other EPMs on this subject, but this is a
no-brainer for General Engineering to get on board with (we're already
pretty much doing this).

Here's an immediate challenge we face: in order to release 1.18, we
need to get the red line in this graph to zero:
http://toolserver.org/~robla/crstats/crstats.118all.html

As of midnight UTC on June 3, we were at 1594 revisions.  Doing the
math, in order to get close to zero by July 15, we have to review 265
revisions/week.  That means:

2011-Jun-03     1594
2011-Jun-10     1329
2011-Jun-17     1064
2011-Jun-24     799
2011-Jul-01     534
2011-Jul-08     269
2011-Jul-15     4

So, can we make it a goal to get to 1329 by this time next week?  That
first 265 should be a lot easier than the last 265, so if we can't get
through the first 265, then we don't really stand a chance.

Rob