On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Neil Kandalgaonkar <ne...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Neither tool has figured out an easy way to deal with fair-use images,
> but I presume we would just use Commons and the default target and make
> the upload target dependent on license. But that ruins the existing
> UploadWizard flow (upload-then-annotate), but that is arguably wrong for
> other reasons -- it's unsuitable for very large files.

I think everyone's in agreement that making it possible to invoke the
uploader from the edit page, and building a more compact flow for
small screens, would be great.

I'm not sure I see a need to fundamentally change the UW-internal flow
for the desktop site. I think if we had an "It's fair use consistent
with the policies of (language name) (site name)" branch in the "not
my own work" branch of Upload Wizard, that would be sufficient. And
that branch would appear only if you invoke UW through a site that has
a fair use policy configured. As you say, it would then use the
alternative repository for uploading the file (namely the local site).

The trickier bit is IMO the post-upload community interaction, and
explaining to the user what's going on. As confusing as it is to send
a user to a separate site, it at least makes it clear that they're
interacting with an altogether different community. That understanding
has to somehow come across, because chances are pretty good that the
uploader will have to deal with the Commons community at some point.

And that's where we get into improved messaging systems, user
profiles, and such, at which points things get complicated pretty
quickly. Although, with a confirmed email address, we can at least
notify the uploader of any talk page messages on Commons.

--
Erik Möller