On 02/28/2012 01:11 PM, Ryan Lane wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Gregory Varnum
>> <gregory.var...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Could mimic what we did here:
>>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/New_repositories#Step_3:_Request_space_for_your_extension
>>>

>> I think as long as this is only for people who currently have svn and want
>> git/gerrit we could do this.
>>
>> In the long run, I'd rather not have this be such a manual process
>> and we could allow open registration to the services tied to LDAP
>> (that's waiting on some work to make ConfirmAccount behave
>> properly with LDAPAuthentication, if I'm right?)
>>

> I'm not sure we need ConfirmAccount, unless it's to combat spam. I
> don't see any reason we can't let anyone register. It may be
> beneficial to require some kind of sanity-check group for access to
> labs, but push access to gerrit should be open to anyone who wants an
> account.
>
> - Ryan

I agree 100% that push access to gerrit should be open to anyone who
wants an account.  I also personally think that we should mass-issue
Gerrit accounts to all existing SVN committers.  My hunch is that the
possible clutter issue is far outweighed by our interest in ensuring
that everyone with any interest in Wikimedia development, past or
present, experiences few barriers to continued contribution.  But if
clutter is a serious issue for some reason, I'd like to hear about it.

OK, so my understanding going forward is:

* Right now, everyone listed at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/System_administrators as having shell
access can make a Gerrit/Labsconsole account, and should say yes to
everyone who asks, except for known malicious persons.  There is no
other publicly available list that's better, so this is the list of
people newbies can ping to ask for accounts.
* Instead of relying on pinging individuals, it would be nice if there
were a queue/requests page, but there is none right now.
* We have to decide whether to just create Gerrit accounts for all
existing SVN committers.  Chad has the committer USERINFO necessary to
create Gerrit accounts for nearly all our SVN committers, but not all.
* Chad and Ryan are interested in improving the signup process so that
anyone can register for an account without having to ask a gatekeeper,
but there's no timeline for this.
* After the switch, if anyone submits a patch in Bugzilla, we should
encourage them to get a Gerrit account and just push there in the future.

If I'm wrong on any of these, tell me.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator