On 03/20/2012 02:24 AM, Brion Vibber wrote:
The prime competing format, H.264, has potential patent issues - like other
MPEG standards there's a patent pool and certain licensing rules. It's also
nearly got an exclusive choke hold on mobile - so much so that Mozilla is
considering ways to adopt H.264 support to avoid being left behind:

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/03/18/video-user-experience-and-our-mission/

Is it time for us to think about H.264 encoding on our own videos?

Right now users of millions of mobile phones and tablets have no access to
our audio and video content,

Which are the patents and when do they expire? Which are the
platforms that don't support Theora, and what stops them?
Maybe we should flood Wikipedia's most visited articles with
videos, so millions of users will be made aware that the makers
of their equipment (Apple iPad?) should support open formats.

Now, if we were to take this path, how do we flood Wikipedia with
videos? Live interviews in all biographies of living people?
If this turns out to be completely unrealistic, because we can't
produce videos in sufficient quantity, then maybe the time is not
yet mature for video in Wikipedia.

I thought it was so 2-3 years ago, but I was wrong. I started this
table, http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category_talk:Videos_by_country
and there are now 12 videos in "Videos from Denmark", up from 2 in
2009 and 3 in 2011. But it hasn't exploded into the hundreds or
thousands. (If you know of more videos that should be in these
categories, please help with categorization!)

I think it would be a great help if I could upload any video format
to Wikimedia Commons, and it would be converted to Theora on the
server side. Then contributors would only need to be experts on
shooting the video, and not on running all the Linux commands
to convert between formats.

--
  Lars Aronsson (l...@aronsson.se)