On 8 June 2012 16:18, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 June 2012 10:12, Ryan Lane <rlan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > The problem was never IPv6. The problem was always about the unspoken
>> > expectation that everyone else would just drop everything else they have
>> > going on to patch up all the stuff that got broken as a result of this
>> > sudden change.  I get that this was an exciting step for the engineers
>> who
>> > got it done, and I tip my hat to all of them for pulling it off; from
>> that
>> > sense it's been a successful implementation.  I also get that at least
>> 30%
>> > of WMF users on hundreds of projects -that's roughly how many use one or
>> > more gadgets, scripts or tools that didn't work after this switch -  have
>> > now had their "editing experience" negatively affected, and that almost
>> all
>> > of it could have been avoided with a month or two of notice so that
>> patches
>> > could be written and resources could be put into place in advance.  One
>> has
>> > to hope this was a knowledge gap and that Engineering did not actually
>> know
>> > the extent to which it would impact the projects and the end-users.
>> >

>> Are the breakages on the site really that massive? We've been getting
>> little to no reports of breakages.
>>

> From what I understand, most of these breakages are in tools and scripts
> developed and operated by volunteer developers, not WMF developers.  The
> big one is Huggle, which on enwp is used by a large majority of admins and
> recent changes patrollers.  There are additional notes on the enwp village
> pump (technical) that appear to be related, although I do not have the
> expertise to assess this.  I have been told that there are parallel issues
> on some of the other large projects, although I don't have direct
> knowledge.

I only see one report of IPv6 problems at the village pump:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Vpt#MediaWiki:Sp-contributions-footer-anon
That was a template which was fixed within a few hours.

Note that the API has had some downtime recently, which has been
wreaking havoc on various scripts and tools. So many of the reports at
the village pump are unrelated to IPv6.

Pete / the wub