On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Daniel Friesen
<li...@nadir-seen-fire.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 03:49:01 -0700, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do this now, please.  Even I can see how easy it ought to be to replace
>> the last
>> three digits of an IPv4 address with XXX in publicly viewable lists
>> and logs....and reduce the publicly visible IPv6 string to its first three
>> segments.
>

> It's not. This is not something simple to do technically.

When someone edits without being logged in, automatically log them in
under a newly created username "X.Y.Z.xxx #N", where N is just the
lowest number which creates a unique name.

(Of course, if you're going to do that, just abandon the whole IP
address thing altogether.  When a user who is not logged in gets to
the edit screen, there are two extra fields: username and password.
Username is pre-filled with "Random User #NNNNNNNN", where NNNNNNNN is
a random not-yet-used number.)