On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Sumana Harihareswara <suma...@wikimedia.org
> wrote:

> On 07/17/2012 08:41 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> > It would appear from reading this page that the only alternative to
> > Gerrit that has a serious following is GitHub.  Is that the case?
>
> We definitely need a GitHub *strategy*.  GitHub draws together tons of
> open source contributors.  So we ought to address:
>
> * pull requests.  People *will* clone our projects onto GitHub and end
> up submitting pull requests there; we have to find or make tools to sync
> those, or at least get notified about them and make it easy to pull them
> into whatever we use. [0] [1]
> * discoverability.  Having a presence on GitHub gets us publicity to a
> lot of potential contributors.
> * reputation.  People on GitHub want credit, in their system, for their
> commits.  It'd help us to give them that somehow.

I'm sure the approach doesn't scale the best but OpenStreetMap has a mirror
of it's code on github, while the official repository is self-hosted within
OSM.

http://git.openstreetmap.org/rails.git/shortlog

People can and do regularly submit pull requests from Github and they get
merged in.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website

I thought we used to have a mirror of MediaWiki on github but maybe that
was when we were using SVN.  There's also the Wikimedia mobile stuff on
github and curious how that's working, in terms of incorporating volunteer
contributions.

Cheers,
Katie

[snip]

> (Thanks to Chad and RobLa for talking through much of this with me.)
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Engineering Community Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012