On 31 July 2012 22:25, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Risker wrote:
> > Putting on my checkuser hat for a moment - yes, please please look at
> > finding a different CAPTCHA process - the cross-wiki spamming by bots
> that
> > are able to "break" the CAPTCHA is becoming overwhelming.  This issue has
> > been reported separately, and there may be a different fix, but this is a
> > pretty big deal as a few hundred volunteer hours a month are going into
> the
> > despamming effort.
>
> Reported separately where?

Bugzilla, I understand, by one or more of the checkusers

> CAPTCHAs were designed for "test if you're human," not "test if you're
> spam." It's a wonder they've worked this long. I imagine better anti-spam
> tools are needed (which may be a new extension, new AbuseFilter filters,
> better user scripts, etc.).

They're spambots and thus both non-human and spammy.

> If the situation is as dire as it sounds, it shouldn't be difficult to find
> a few resources to throw at the problem. In a discussion like this,
> examples
> of particular problematic behavior (links!) are always most helpful to
> developers, I've found. "This is the bad behavior we're seeing and want to
> stop. How should we do that?" :-)

I've been advised some of WMF's best are already working on it; however, if
you want to see examples you could look at steward Billinghurst's block
logs, mostly on non=English wikis.

Risker/Anne