On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Pau Giner <pgi...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I made some mockups to illustrate some of the ideas on captchas that could
> be less problematic for non-English speakers, improve the general UX and
> rely on images from commons.
>
> - Panorama captcha:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Panorama-captcha-idea.png
> Based on tagging parts of a panorama picture with the appropriate word (in
> the UI language or Basic English words).
>
> - 'Who is who' captcha:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Find-all-captcha-idea.png
> Based on finding from a set of similar images the ones that fit a specific
> criteria (with an image describing also the criteria).
>
> - 'Find the different' captcha:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Find-the-different-captcha-idea.png
> Based on finding the image that is different from a set of images.
>

> These captchas will probably generate new problems for the technical side,
> require adjustments to reduce the chance of a machine to solve them, or may
> just be unfeasible to generate, but I wanted to provide these ideas in case
> anybody else may use it as a base for improve on any technical weakness
> they may have and make them at least as hard to solve for a machine as
> text-based captchas are.

Thanks Pau, that's really helpful. :)

Since we've progressed from just the idea stage to mockups, but we still
have a lot of different options, I've started an RfC on MediaWiki.org where
we can list all the issues and potential solutions. I don't personally
think we need to come to a consensus right now, but CAPTCHAs are going to
keep coming up even if no action is taken in the short term, so we should
document all our ideas.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/CAPTCHA

Steven