On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:07 AM, bawolff <bawolff...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>That said, I'm not overly irritated. There are a few links I need to
>>update, but that's doable. Thanks for handling this issue, and for being
>>responsive to the concerns raised.
>
> While there's 475 links to wikitech-l archives on en wikipedia. That's
> more than a "few" imo.
>
> The real concern here is that many of those links will never be fixed,
> and people looking in the obscure talk page archives of wikipedia,
> will never be able to find the relavent mailing posts. This makes it
> much harder to look into the history of certain things. I'm aware
> similar incidents have happened in the past - that does not make
> future incidents ok.

Indeed. Sorry if I implied that.

I think the proper way forward is to:

1. Adjust our procedures for thread deletion so that this situation
doesn't occur again.
2. Fix the links, if the effort level isn't insane.

> Secondly, I'd just like to extend a giant *hug* to Daniel Zahn, who
> from the sounds of it did not expect this to be such a controversial
> issue.
>
> Third, I'd like to reiterate what others said about folks taking a
> chill pill. Additionally I'd like to add that mistakes happen, we all
> make them. The important thing is to realize we've made a mistake,
> mitigate the affect of the mistake, and document the mistakes so that
> others don't make them. Yelling and screaming about mistakes doesn't
> really help anything.

+1

Things break, mistakes get made, etc. It's a normal part of life, and
a very normal part of ops. It makes for a much nicer environment when
people point out issues in a calm and polite fashion.

- Ryan