> I'm not complaining about being called out or even bashed for writing
> overly hostile posts. I've done that a few times and I hate it when I
> slip up and do it. If I get called out or bashed over that, I've
> deserved it, and I'll take it. But what pisses me off is that it's
> apparently impossible to get people to discuss real issues once
> they're tainted with inappropriate communication. That's unhealthy and
> needs to stop. So by all means, call people out on hostility. But
> don't ignore stifle discussion about real problems.

Well, this is one more reason as to why hostile behavior should not be
tolerated. It has the opposite effect as intended. Even when people
don't get called out on bad behavior in a hostile post, the hostility
itself tends to put everyone on the defensive, which makes solving the
underlying issue much more difficult. In fact, in many cases threads
tend to die out simply because they are hostile and the people who
would do the work are tired of dealing with the drama involved and
ignore the thread.

- Ryan