Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Our Analytics crew have worked out how to generate a graph that gives
> us a view into our code review backlog:
> http://gerrit-stats.wmflabs.org/graphs/mediawiki

Thanks for the graph. There are a few typos in the graph's title, by the
way. "Mediawiki CodeReview" should be "MediaWiki code review". "MediaWiki"
has a capital W and "CodeReview" is a mostly obsolete MediaWiki extension.
The graph should also include some explanation text (or at a minimum, a link
to your mailing list post). I'm not sure if Limn currently supports this
feature, but it should.

> As of this writing, there's 207 revisions that have neither positive
> nor negative reviews associated with them.  That's still seems like a
> pretty big number.  30 of those are more than a month old, and some
> date back to May.
>
> How is the process working for everyone?  Is stuff getting reviewed
> quickly enough?  How has it been for the reviewers out there?

I'm not quite sure why revisions with +1 and +2 are excluded from this
graph. This seems to fall into the trap of "code review is the same as code
deployment." We've discussed this previously. When people say they want
faster code review, they really only mean that as a means to an end (i.e.,
they really want revisions merged/deployed in a more timely manner). Could a
separate graph be created that shows the number of un-merged, un-abandoned
revisions with 0, +1, or +2? That seems like it'd be a more accurate picture
of the code review backlog.

Generally, I still don't think there's any incentive to clear the queue. If
a revision sits for six months, what happens? You wait for someone to "lob a
grenade"? :-)

Perhaps revisions that receive no feedback for thirty days should be
auto-merged and auto-deployed. The current code review/deployment situation
is all based on whim for any code that isn't magically deemed a high
priority to the Wikimedia Foundation, though I suppose graphs are as good a
place as any to start to resolve that problem.

MZMcBride