On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Nabil Maynard <nadr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not a good idea: http://xkcd.com/927/
>> While OAuth has its problems, it's not a terrible protocol (or at least v1
>> isn't).
>>

> Seconded -- I'd rather see contributions to making OAuth less painful
> rather than invent Yet Another Standard.

I have to agree too. OAuth has problems, but it would allow several of
wmf's current integrations to be more secure overall, and that would
be a win for us. If Daniel is able to create a protocol that is as
secure, and easier for developers to use securely, then I will
definitely push to switch over. But until then, I'm still going to try
and get OAuth out.

I'd also love to see MediaWiki support SAML too, for our .edu/.gov users.

> My personal wishlist:
>  - Persona: Previously called BrowserID.  It's come a LONG way in the past
> few months, and provides another fairly clean identity/authentication
> system.

Mozilla is also interested in this. I don't think we can use it on wmf
sites, but if you're interested in working on it, I can probably get
you in touch with someone there. I think it would be a great feature.