On Sep 26, 2012, at 8:01 PM, Niklas Laxström <niklas.laxst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 September 2012 10:08, Krinkle <krinklem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another problem I found in the current setup is that its a bit
>> counter-intuitive how to manage the directory structure for developers. I
>> mean, most of us probably have this:
>>
>> - mediawiki
>> - /core (clone mediawiki/core.git)
>> - /extensions (directory with clones of individual extensions or clone of
>> mediawiki/extensions.git tracking repo)
>
> In SVN time extensions were a subdir of mediawiki core and I doubt
> that everyone has suddenly decided to change it. At least I haven't.
>  -Niklas

No, not at all. They never were and never will.

In svn we have:

[mediawiki]
- trunk/
- - phase3/
- - extensions/

Extensions has always been besides never inside core.

Of course in unversioned installations (e.g. tarballs) we put extensions in
the extensions subdirectory. And even in versioned installations, one can

* git clone individual extensions in the extensions directory
* git clone extensions next to core and place symlinks for invidual extensions
in the extensions directory

But if someone simply clones the mediawiki/extensions.git tracking repository,
then it is kind of annoying to have to put symlinks in place. I have my local
dev environment set up like this:

$wgScriptPath = '/mediawiki/core';
$wgExtensionAssetsPath = '/mediawiki/extensions';
$extDir = dirname( $IP ) . '/extensions';

require_once( "$extDir/Vector/Vector.php" );

Anyway, </offtopic>

-- Krinkle