On 12/05/2012 07:55 PM, Chris Steipp wrote:
> If Wikibase wants to define another hook, and can
> present the data in a generic way (like Daniel did for content
> handler) we can probably add it into AbuseFilter.

It should be presented in a suitable way (not obscure Wikibase internal
structures), that still includes the necessary information.

> But if the processing is specific to Wikibase (you pass an Entity into the
> hook,
> for example), then AbuseFilter shouldn't be hooking into something
> like that, since it would basically make Wikibase a dependency, and I
> do think that more independent wikis are likely to have AbuseFilter
> installed without Wikibase than with it.

AbuseFilter would not depend on Wikibase if AbuseFilter only hooks into it.

It's fine for you to register a hook that is never called:

$wgHooks[ 'WikibaseEditFilterMerged' ][] =
'AbuseFilter::onWikibaseEditFilterMerged';

will not cause an error if Wikibase is not installed.
onWikibaseEditFilterMerged would then transform the data and call
internal AbuseFilter functions/methods.

>> I don't think it necessarily needs one.  A spam filter with a different
>> approach (which may not have a rule UI at all) can register its own
>> hooks, just as AbuseFilter does.
>
> I can definitely appreciate that, but that is also why we currently
> have so many extensions for spam / bot handling, using the existing
> hooks. I would hate to see yet another spam extension that does really
> great spam detection, but is has a dependency on Wikibase.

I think inevitably different people are going to address the spam
challenge differently.  By using hooks, though, that great extension
does not need a hard dependency on Wikibase.

Matt Flaschen