On 12 December 2012 00:04, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Looking at the big picture, I don't think we'll ever see widespread editing
> from mobile devices. The user experience is simply too awful. The best I
> think most people are hoping for is the ability to easily fix a typo, maybe,
> but even then you have to assess costs vs. benefit. That is, is it really
> worth paying two or three full-time employees so that someone can easily
> change "Barrack" to "Barack" from his or her iPhone? Probably not.

OTOH, see recent coverage of Wikipedia in Africa, where it's basically
going to be on phones. Cheap shitty smartphones. That the kids are
*desperate* to get Wikipedia on. Do we want to make those readers into
editors? It'd be nice.

> Perhaps mobile uploading could use better native support, but again, is the
> cost worth it? Does Commons need more low-quality photos? And even as phone
> cameras get better, do those photos need to be _instantly_ uploaded to the
> site? There's something to be said for waiting until you get home to upload
> photos, especially given how cumbersome the photo upload process is
> (copyright, permissions, categorization, etc.). And this all side-steps the
> question of whether there are better organizations equipped at handling
> photos (such as Flickr or whatever).

This is a version of the general argument against participation. There
are reasons it's not favoured.

- d.