On 12/13/2012 12:38 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:
It's much, MUCH easier for us to flip the H.264 switch... there are
ideological reasons we might not want to, but we're going to have to put
the effort into making those player apps if we want all our data accessible
to everyone.

+1 its non trivial amount of effort to integrated native players across at least 3 major platforms, ( iOS, Android, Win8 ), And as pointed out in the thread, low power android / firefox OS devices include h.264 hardware decoders but will fail for medium resolution webm.

I think Wikimedia mobile product needs to come up with some recommendations for the Board / community to evaluate. There are trade offs in effort and resource allocation.

Is integrating software video decoders with native apps the best use of resources? or are there other higher priority efforts? Or more realistically, the ideological hard line, means kicking the proverbial video on Wikipedia bucket further down stream, which is also a trade off of sorts.

--michael