On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM, Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> First off its nice to see technical ieg's being proposed.
>
> How do you plan to gelocate logged in users. Logged in user's ips are
> considered sensitive and your tool will not have access to them to do geo
> ip stuff on. You could maybe try and process user pages but that sounds
> difficult.
>
> -bawolff

*We have tried to address the privacy issues in obtaining IPs
here<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IEG/Mapping_History:_Revision_History_Visualizer_and_Improvement_Suggester_using_Geo-Spatial_Technologies#Addressing_privacy_concerns>.
As we have mentioned, no personal information of individual editors other
than their rough geographical locations (at state/country level) will be
used and displayed.
If the tool is deployed as a MediaWiki gadget, we guess it will be
installed on the server where the MediaWiki is hosted. Will there still be
privacy issues in obtaining the IPs?
In the standalone case where the tool will be used as an independent
application, is there any way of obtaining the IPs without violating the
privacy terms?*

Thanks,
--
Basil.