Hey,

It sounds like an interesting idea. Actually, AWS (I've been working with
it recently for Extension:AWS) has a similar architecture, where you
establish a push notification service using their Simple Notification
Service and have it send messages to a queue using their Simple Queue
Service.

The difficulty in replacing IRC would be that, first of all, it would
almost definitely have to be a push-based service, where the wiki would
publish the message and the notification server would send out the recent
change to all the subscribed clients. This begs the question of whether
there's an existing piece of software that does this or whether this would
require implementing a daemon in the form of a maintenance script that
handle the job.

*--*
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science