Because we made that mistake with the API, and now we're stuck with a bunch
of deadweight formats that do nothing other than increase maintenance
costs.  If your first preference as a client developer is for JSON, it's
really not that hard for you to go get a library to receive it in XML
instead, or vice versa.  That's the whole point of a standardised format.

--HM