Just for the record, sorry for not posting it right away:

Chris Steipp found the issue in my case to be the enabled "Block
third-party cookies and site data" chrome setting. Even though this is not
default at the moment, apparently Firefox is thinking of making this a
default. Enabling it breaks the cross site family logins (but not
cross-language) logins.