On 2013-03-09 5:04 PM, "Jon Robson" <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So, why am I not trying to learn Gerrit or try to submit patches?
 Because it's not worth my time.  The interface is so far outside of what
I'm used to, and it's just so touchy.  By comparison, GitHub has a solid,
no frills, Mac app that handles all of the important stuff.  And, even when
I committed to GitHub by command line, there was no way I could "Merge
branch 'master' of ssh://gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/mediawiki/core" by
miss-typing a re-base <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/37684/>.

> Thank you for sharing this view. This was my fear and it is useful to
> get this view.
>
> To me I would be happy having more contributions regardless of
> quality. A contribution in itself is wonderful as it shows an interest
> in the work that is being done and a will to help with that work. We
> should be striving to mentor any developer who contributes poor
> quality code not see this as a negative thing. To me this is what is
> so beautiful about open source development - we get the opportunity to
> create awesome things and create awesome developers.

In theory you are right - more folks = more awesomeness. In practice this
involves a lot of effort, effort that people often are not willing to put
in. Just look at our rather poor history with bugzilla patches (although
things have improved)

Notwithstanding that, I still think we should reduce as many barriers as
possible. Even if the ideal world mentoring is not there, at least more
openness makes it more likely someone will figure stuff out themselves.

-bawolff