On 2013-03-22 9:20 AM, "Tyler Romeo" <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Thomas Gries <m...@tgries.de> wrote:
>
> > I have to change CACHE_ACCEL to CACHE_NONE in my LocalSettings.php,
> > and will still enjoy opcode caching by ZendOptimizerPlus,
> > but have no memory cache - currently.
> >

> > Is this correct ?
> > Can the setup be improved, and how ?
> >

> Yes, this is correct. It can be improved by setting up a memcached server
> (it's quick and easy, and in small wikis can even be run on the same
server
> as the web server, though not recommended for larger setups) and then
using
> that as your cache. As an alternative, you can also use CACHE_DB, which
> will use the database for caching, although that doesn't really help much
> since a cache miss usually means a DB query anyway.
>
> *-- *
> *Tyler Romeo*
> Stevens Institute of Technology, Class of 2015
> Major in Computer Science
> www.whizkidztech.com | tylerro...@gmail.com

Some people have claimed that CACHE_DB might even slow things down compared
to CACHE_NONE when used as main cache type (cache db is still better than
cache none for slow caches like the parser cache). Anyhow you should do
profiling type things when messing with caching settings (or any
performance settings) to see what is effective and what is not.

-bawolff