On 04/04/2013 12:10 AM, Erik Moeller wrote:
If the migration is merited, it is likely merited irrespective of
whether we use SocialProfile, LQT, SMW, SMF, etc.

In theory yes, but in practice there are some associations:

* Contributors and the docs relevant for them should be in the same place.

* Semantic MediaWiki is required to prototype and implement the features proposed for contributors in the quickest and simplest way. Unless someone has a better idea.

* http://mediawiki.org has the docs but not SMW.

* http://wikitech.wikimedia.org has SMW but not the docs.

As far as I can see it is impossible to solve the puzzle without changing something and upsetting someone. The scenarios are:

1. Move the right content to Wikitech and experiment there with SMW. When Wikimedia has a better solution, take it.

2. Install SMW in mediawiki.org and experiment there. When Wikimedia has a better solution, take it.

3. Keep everything as it is. Wait for Wikidata, Flow and Global Profile to be ready to help us here.

4. Create a new website just for this.  :P

If you have a 5th please share it.

3 or 4 would be the usual choices out there. I believe we would be in trouble with any of both. I'm ambivalent between 1 or 2, only fearing that having so many strong & opinionated positions we don't end up trying a 2.5 headed for failure (another usual choice out there).

But I have hope in this discussion and our capacity to end up doing The Right Thing.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation