On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 April 2013 19:07, Lydia Pintscher <lydia.pintsc...@wikimedia.de>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> > > Sorry, I don't know what this means. I thought Wikidata was already
> > > deployed to the English Wikipedia (and possibly other projects as
> well).
> >
> > I've posted an announcement with more details on the technical village
> > pump at
> >
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(technical)#Wikidata_phase_2_is_coming_soon
> > Let me know if anything is still unclear so I can clarify.
> >

> > Cheers
> > Lydia
> >

> Lydia, could you please point me to the discussion on *English Wikipedia*
> where the community indicated an interest in deploying this software?
> Infoboxes and sourcing to another website completely outside the control of
> English Wikipedia is a rather big issue, and I would expect to see a
> Request for Comment with at least 200-300 participants.
>
> Risker/Anne

In my opinion, as a casual Wikidata editor and not-so-casual Wikipedia
editor, I think the Commons analogy continues to hold up pretty well.
Commons exists. We can use it, as a project. We don't *have* to (and indeed
don't always, on en:wp, where fair use images are accepted). As I
understand it, the same is true with Wikidata -- it will be around, if and
when it seems appropriate to use. Of course Commons and Wikidata will both
be more useful and more awesome the more projects do use them. But my very
non-technical understanding of this deployment is that basically we made
the projects able to see that Wikidata exists (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Now as far as I can tell there's a whole lot of work yet to do in order to
figure out how exactly one might link to data or produce an infobox and
what that might look like -- deployment does not seem to mean ready for
prime-time, yet -- and of course the data-building itself is just barely
getting started. Best practices for infoboxes does seem like a project-wide
RFC to me. But hopefully, when we get to that point, wikidata will be a
useful option.

-- phoebe

* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *