I share Sumana's and Max's concerns. The lead paragraph and the lead
sentence of the article are indeed meant to provide a good, stand-alone
summary of the subject, withing the limits of their corresponding lengths.
The guidelines concerning these are located at
WP:LEAD<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Lead_section>and
its section
WP:BEGIN<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Lead_section#First_sentence>,
respectively. The changes you suggest as an example for the Madonna article
are actually largely compatible with the spirit of those guidelines. I
suggest you to become familiarized with both as you review your proposal.
You should also take a look at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Concise_Wikipedia, which presents several of
the use cases you already mention. The "Related projects/proposals" section
of that page is particularly interesting for seeing what others have
already proposed/implemented.

In summary, I think your proposal *could* be useful if it implemented a way
to provide subject-specfic layouts for the article leads or first sentences
(e.g. highlighting the birth date if it's a person, etc), but
Wikidata<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Introduction>kind of
renders such a heuristic and/or manual annotation approach
obsolete, since those pieces of information will be explicitly annotated as
such and in a much universal way than the current semantic markup systems
such as PERSONDATA <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Persondata>. Not
to mention the advantage of not requiring manual sync between the
"cardified" data and the current lead section, and also the ability to use
the same set of data in any Wikipedia, and indeed, in any site of the web
as Wikidata matures.

My suggestion is to reconsider your proposal, but I would like to leave you
a word of encouragement, since you clearly had a good idea (the fact that
many before you have thought of ways to tackle the same problems ratifies
that), and took the time to investigate existing implementations (i.e. the
Popups) and create a detailed exposition to your plan. I'm sure your GSoC
project, whatever you choose, will have good chances of success. Keep up
the good work!