Hi!
Your proposal looks very good. I'll be very happy to help you as co-mentor on
this project if is no GSoc project for Proofread Page.

Some comments:
1. You should keep in mind that the extension will be used by Wikibook and
Wikisource communities so these communities must be involve in the project.
2. For Wikisource, the extension should be nicely integrated with the current
proofreading workflow managed by Proofread Page (this can be done in a second
time but we should keep it in mind).
3. The extension should, I think, be able to manage metadata about books like
the author(s) in order to be able to provide these information in the exported
files. The metadata have sometime to be input by the contributors (like the
author of a Wikisource book) or to be get from MediaWiki (like the authors of
Wikibook books that are the contributors of the book pages) or maybe, in the
future, even get from Wikidata.
4. The extension must be simple to use. I believe that one of the main goal is
to simplify the edition workflow. So, new wikicode syntax to learn for basic
users should be avoided as much as possible (this doesn't concern syntax that
will only be used in templates).

A good way to archive these goals is maybe be to make book main pages not
wikitext based pages, but a page that store in a structured format (like JSON)
metadata of the book, a table of content and some free text spaces, all of that
edited via a clever form. For that, we can reuse some code written for the
Wikidata project (storage with the Content handler, Diff system, DataValue
library...).
Working in that way will allow to get nice and well-formatted metadata that can
be used to improve cataloging of books and avoid the need for people to learn
new tags, templates or parser functions in order to create a new books. But
this will require more development time.

What do you think about it?
Thomas

(I CC the members of the "Elaborate Wikisource strategic vision" group)