Thomas PT <thomaspt <at> hotmail.fr> writes:

> Hi!
> Your proposal looks very good. I'll be very happy to help you as co-mentor
on this project if is no GSoc
> project for Proofread Page.
>
> Some comments:
> 1. You should keep in mind that the extension will be used by Wikibook and
Wikisource communities so these
> communities must be involve in the project.
> 2. For Wikisource, the extension should be nicely integrated with the
current proofreading workflow
> managed by Proofread Page (this can be done in a second time but we should
keep it in mind).
> 3. The extension should, I think, be able to manage metadata about books
like the author(s) in order to be
> able to provide these information in the exported files. The metadata have
sometime to be input by the
> contributors (like the author of a Wikisource book) or to be get from
MediaWiki (like the authors of
> Wikibook books that are the contributors of the book pages) or maybe, in
the future, even get from Wikidata.
> 4. The extension must be simple to use. I believe that one of the main
goal is to simplify the edition
> workflow. So, new wikicode syntax to learn for basic users should be
avoided as much as possible (this
> doesn't concern syntax that will only be used in templates).
>
> A good way to archive these goals is maybe be to make book main pages not
wikitext based pages, but a page that
> store in a structured format (like JSON) metadata of the book, a table of
content and some free text spaces,
> all of that edited via a clever form. For that, we can reuse some code
written for the Wikidata project
> (storage with the Content handler, Diff system, DataValue library...).
> Working in that way will allow to get nice and well-formatted metadata
that can be used to improve
> cataloging of books and avoid the need for people to learn new tags,
templates or parser functions in order
> to create a new books. But this will require more development time.
>
> What do you think about it?
> Thomas
>
> (I CC the members of the "Elaborate Wikisource strategic vision" group)
>
> > Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:16:44 -0400
> > From: gorillawarfarewikipedia <at> gmail.com
> > To: wikitech-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
> > Subject: [Wikitech-l] GSoC 2013: Improve support for book structures
> >
> > Hi! I'm Molly White, or GorillaWarfare on the WMF projects. I'm planning to
> > submit a proposal to the WMF for this summer's Google Summer of Code (and
> > probably also the Outreach Program for Women) and was hoping to get some
> > feedback. See my proposal at
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:GorillaWarfare/Proposal.
> >
> > I would like to improve support for projects (like Wikisource and
> > Wikibooks) that have content that's structured as a book and not as an
> > article. I plan to do this by working on the existing BookManager
> > extension. It's currently unstable and very much in development, so there's
> > a lot of room for improvement.
> >
> > Do you have any feedback, concerns, suggestions, etc.? Do you think the
> > project is feasible for GSoC?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Molly White

Wow, thank you so much for your detailed reply. I would love to have you as
a co-mentor, assuming no one is available to work on the Proofread Page
extension.

Regarding your suggestions: I've posted on both English and Multilingual
Wikisource regarding my ideas, but I will do so again when I have a more
specific plan. I'll also communicate with the Wikibooks community. I'm sure
both communities will have a lot of useful feedback.

How do you envision this integrating with Proofread Page? The vision I had
of this extension was as a somewhat separate process, but I think the more
the process can be simplified, the better.

I strongly agree about the metadata. I will be more specific in my proposal
that I intend to include the ability to add that on the book organization
page. I also like the idea of integrating it with WikiData.

I had planned to use a form-type organization page, and not to try to
organize it using wikitext. I really like the JSON idea, actually; I think
that might be the perfect format for this. I will start looking at the
WikiData code to get an idea of how they use it.

Thanks so much,

Molly White