That looks like a cool idea.

I am trying to experiment it on a few pages, and it seems to considerably
reduce the number of web requests (for
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_van_Gogh it goes from 120 to under 40
requests).

But the pages get quite bigger, obviously. Also, it introduces a caching
issue for images...

Still, pretty cool.

2013/4/22 Mathias Schindler <mathias.schind...@gmail.com>

> Hi everyone,
>
> Magnus was very kind to implement an idea that consists of two parts:
>
> 1. use of WebP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP) instead of PNG/JPEG
> for thumbnails in Wikipedia articles
> 2. use of Data-URIs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_URI_scheme) to
> inline incluse those thumbnails.
>
> The experiment can be watched using Chrome and Opera browsers at
>
> http://toolserver.org/~magnus/wp_data_url.php?lang=en&title=Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer&webp=1
>
> Firefox and other Data-URI capable but currently WebP incapable
> browsers can watch the second part of the experiment at
>
> http://toolserver.org/~magnus/wp_data_url.php?lang=en&title=Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer
>
> Base64 encoding has a ~1/3 overhead. This overhead is reduced when the
> server sends out gzip files.
>
> Mathias

Project director Wikidata
Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de