I vaguely recall the first time I came across one of these newfangled "PNG"
images that no viewer would display. What's wrong with GIF??? That will
never stand!
(yes, I know plenty is wrong with GIF, especially in those days...)

Pixelmator on Mac already opens webp fine, didn't test saving though. If
Wikipedia would offer it, everyone except Apple would just link the library
to their code and be "hip" ;-)