I am completely amazed by a particularly brilliant way that Wikipedia uses
Wikidata. Instead of simply displaying the data from Wikidata and removing
the local data, a template and workflow is proposed, which...

* grabs the relevant data from Wikidata
* compares it with the data given locally in the Wikipedia
* displays the Wikipedia data
* adds a maintenance category in case the data is different

This allows both communities to check the maintenance category, provide a
security net for vandal changes, still notice if some data has changed,
etc. -- and to phase out the local data over time when they get comfortable
and if they want to. It is a balance of maintenance effort and data quality.

I am not saying that is the right solution in every use case, for every
topic, for every language. But it is a perfect example how the community
will surprise us by coming up with ingenious solutions if they get enough
flexibility, powerful tools, and enough trust.

Yay, Wikipedia!

The workflow is described here:

<
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:Commons_category#Edit_request_on_24_April_2013:_Check_Wikidata_errors

There is an RFC currently going on about whether and how to use Wikidata
data in the English Wikipedia, coming out of the discussion that was here a
few days ago. If you are an English Wikipedian, you might be interested:

<
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Wikidata_Phase_2

--
Project director Wikidata