On 06/07/2013 11:43 AM, Asher Feldman wrote:
> Why not - would the patrol cost really be too high?

I can only speak for enwp, of course, but with my experience as a
checkuser and arb there (and a couple years as an admin before that) I
can say without a doubt that I would strenuously oppose relaxing TOR
restrictions:  I have never seen a TOR exit node used for legitimate
purposes, ever, with the notable exception of a handful (less than 10)
editors who had been carefully vetoed prior.  In fact, even some of
those supposedly legitimate editors have fallen to the lure of "easy"
socking when given the opportunity.

That said, however, there are geopolitical concerns that may well
justify the cost for /some/ projects.  I could see why zhwiki might well
feel the balance tips the other way, for instance.

-- Marc