On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Jeroen De Dauw <jeroended...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> What if you want to use wikibase 1.23 and MyAbominationExtension 1.5 that
> > requires an incompatible version of DataValues and MyAwesomeExtension 1.0
> > that requires an incompatible version of ValueView?
> >

> If you have releases of certain software that have requirements that cannot
> satisfied together, then you cannot install them together. That is a pretty
> inherent property of incompatible software.

Yes, but the only requirement right now is "Am I using the correct version
of this extension with this version of MediaWiki?" and you're adding in a
whole new set of incompatibilities. You're really not thinking of this from
the perspective of the person using the software.

> As a user, when I run into such a situation, what I want to know is which
> versions of the software I am interested in I can install together. That
> is, after being told the latest releases do not work together. Sounds like
> we need some kind of package management :) In case of the components
> created for Wikidata, we have been supporting Composer for a while now,
> which is a great fit to our needs.

"We" in this situation is Wikidata and not the developer community. In
fact, there were a number of threads about composer with no consensus and a
number of objections. So, what you're saying is that the Wikidata team has
made a decision on behalf of the community?

> I attempted to install Wikibase the other day and made a fun discovery.
> > Installing it properly requires the following (12) extensions:
> >

> That is somewhat inaccurate, and is misleading with regard to Wikibase
> installation. Nevertheless, the concerns you bring up are certainly
> relevant, and currently not really tackled well in the MediaWiki community.
> That is to bad, as it encourages people to inappropriately bundle things
> and throw re usability out of the window (plus causing a long list of other
> problems).

The solution to this isn't to sneak a requirement in without consensus....

Also, it's poor architecture to split things into a large number of small
pieces in anticipation of reuse. It's better to split things apart when
there's a need.

Something that's being sidestepped here is that extensions are being used
as a means to avoid getting things reviewed for core. Quite a few of these
extensions should just be core functionality or they shouldn't exist.

- Ryan