Hey,

> Just curious, why is "composer require mediawiki/core" needed?

Because Hashar is talking about having a "MediaWiki installation" package,
which effectively turns into "My MediaWiki installation" when you start
using it. This package specifies all the things you want to install (in its
composer.json). This will always include core, and also list the extensions
you want on your particular install.

The reason for having this seperate package is to get around the problem I
described earlier in this thread - if you just have core, and you install
other things into it by modifying the composer.josn of core, you'll end up
with a modified non-optional file in the core repo, which causes hassle
when you want to update.

Of course if we got with such a "MediaWiki installation" package, I'd be
natural to put mediawiki-core already in the composer.json file, so people
would not actually need to run this command.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com