On 25 July 2013 15:45, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM, James Forrester
> <jforres...@wikimedia.org>wrote:
>
> > That's just flatly wrong. Removing the preference was always the
> intention
> > and had been mentioned several times.
> >

> See here it is again. Was is absolutely necessary to say I was "flatly
> wrong"? This thread began with mentions of the original patchset in which
> the $wgHiddenPrefs was enabled *because of the messages error* so I don't
> see how it was such a terrible conclusion to come to.
>
> I made the call about a year ago, and mentioned it in several of the
> > dozens of mailing list and on-wiki posts made about the development of
> > VisualEditor since then. Clearly my communication about it wasn't read,
> or
> > wasn't understood, by the people who subsequently complained, but I
> > wouldn't describe it as being "done silently".
>

> Could you maybe link to where you emailed wikitech about this, because I
> just searched my Gmail and found no such email.

It's in the Engineering goals for 2012-13[1] in "big picture" and VE Q4
activities and periodically in the VisualEditor/status reports starting in
January 2013[2] that VisualEditor will be the default editor.  There is
nothing that I could find that said that the existing preference would be
disabled.

Risker

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/2012-13_Goals
[2] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor/status