On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Petr Bena <benap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After some thinking and talking to YuviPanda I decided to make it just
>> as an ordinary tool instead of whole service. So that it would mostly
>> consist of a daemon that based on user subscriptions insert stuff to
>> redis queues.
>>

> Do you mean that the bot owners themselves would be responsible for running
> this tool?

nope, they would just subscribe and it would fill up the redis queues for them

> It would watch the recentchages of ALL wikis we have @wm and users
>> could subscribe (using web browser or some terminal interface) to this
>> service, so that on certain events (page X was modified), this bot
>> dispatcher would do something (submit their bot on grid / sent some
>> signal / tcp packet somewhere / insert data to redis etc etc).
>

> This sounds like a nice idea, but it'd be bounds more difficult to design
> than the current bot solution. Mainly because unlike the current model
> (where UDP is just spammed as fast as possible), this would require
> filtering through a rule list and actually processing requests. The service
> would have to keep up with RC. It's not impossible, and if anything I think
> it's a pretty cool idea. It'd just require some thought as to how the
> service would handle overload, if the service would support being spanned
> across a server pool, how the service would be concurrent, etc.

In this moment it would likely itself connect to irc and relay the
current feed, just in redis format, the difference is, that writing
own irc parser is not just more complicated, but it also involves a
whole process being up to read the RC feed.

This way the bot doesn't need to have a single process running, but
for example, fetches the queue of pages / edits that it needs to
process from redis after start