On 2013-10-01 3:11 PM, "Brion Vibber" <bvib...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Question for the group:
>
> Would an officially supported general-purpose MediaWiki hosting service be
> useful to people who would like to run wikis, but don't have the time,
> expertise, or resources to maintain their own installation?
>
> If so, what can we (as interested parties in MediaWiki development and
use)
> do to make this happen?
>

> [Please do not consider the existence of this email to imply that only
> regular posters on wikitech-l are allowed to read, comment on, or give
> opinions in this matter -- on the contrary, wider input is being
requested.
> Please forward this question to anyone to whom it may be of interest. If
> you would like to get more input from other people, please feel free to
> contact them on your own, with or without a forward of this mail, and to
> make follow-up posts or comments as you need or want to. Please feel free
> to modify the question, the idea, the proposal, or make comments or
> additions. Be bold and get involved!]
>
> -- brion

I know this is not your question - but officially supported by whom? I
would consider this massively out of scope for the wmf unless it was using
revenue from this service to subsidize wikipedia. Even then it seems
somewhat questionable, politically.

Ignoring the politics of such a move, I think it would be cool.

-bawolff